Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Cigarettes and strawberries

This whole thing about unethical advertising isn't something that has really bothered me before; sex sells, ok that's maybe inappropriate, but what are you going to do about it. Then, today, on my way home from work, I actually found myself on the verge of being a little annoyed about two ads I saw in the metro.

The first one was a typical Brusselite ad for an technical employment related conference/fair. In the right hand corner of the poster there was a little box explaining that even women were eligible for these kinds of jobs, so they should "venez nombreuses" to the fair. Even women, as if to say that women generally constitute an untalented and unwanted labour pool that no one wants to employ. Even women, kind of like saying even aliens. Am I reading to much into this?  

The other ad was for Pall Mall cigarettes, and the slogan read: "Pall Mall: Makes life taste better". First of all, isn't that Sainsbury's slogan? Also: really?! People know smoking is bad, people know smoking doesn't taste 'good' (we're talking the strawberry kind of good), people don't smoke because it tastes like strawberries...I am so tempted to go buy myself a big fat marker and put "Pall Mall: Makes life smell worse."

Mmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment