I was told in middle school by my home room teacher that I was too modest about what I knew and was capable of, and wonder sometimes if I still underestimate myself a little bit. My reality, though, is that I am quite convinced of the opposite: I definitely overestimate my own abilities. Whether we're talking driving, applying for jobs or playing sports, deep inside I actually think I'm a little bit better than I am.
Now a quick word on opinions, seeing as election day is approaching and I've had to cast my vote two weeks in advance. I've never not had opinions (to no one's surprise), but I've generally always showed a great deal of respect for the opinions of people I find generally intelligent and thought-through. It's not because I am not confident in my opinions, it's rather that I have quite a strong belief in other people and realize that they - just as I and those that think like me - have reflected, and gone over, and concluded. I thus find it perplexing to reconcile the two ideas: opinions that I don't agree with, with intelligent and likeable people that I respect. It's a lot easier for the mind if bad people disagree with you, and good people think what you think.
On the other hand, it is incredibly valuable to exchange opinions and viewpoints; it's really a win-win situation. If you end up changing your opinions, having been enlightened, then you've won. If you end up having refuted the opposing opinions with even more vigor than before, then you've reinforced your beliefs, put your ideas to the test, and you've won. I've spent the last few weeks surrounded mostly by very wise people, and that's pretty much what I've learnt.
The worst is when people change their opinions when they haven't been enlightened for the better.
ReplyDeleteI'm hoping I'm at least a little bit wise, as are you, referring to the really good talk we had the other night. I enjoyed that, there's something comforting about discussing with intelligent people that you also happen to like on other grounds. I'm going to miss you again soon, can we please keep in touch better? =)
ReplyDelete