Friday, October 29, 2010

Le temps court, plutôt...

Time is just running away. It's not that I need it to slow down or change direction, I'm just surprised at its stamina of late. I'm not a friend of numbers so I'm not going to start counting how many weeks we've been in Lyon, but I do know that we've paid two months' rent so far, which seems absolutely absurd seeing as we don't even have a vacuum cleaner yet, and I still get lost around campus. (Seriously though, there is something shady about the architecture of that place. Every single time I come at a door or a corridor from a new angle or direction I get confused and lose it.)

I feel blessed to already have met a lot of warmhearted people here. It helps me miss my homegirls, homeboys and inamorato less - although these are all of course tremendously irreplaceable. Missing your loved ones gives me such an achy breaky heart, it's such an inescapable feeling, and can be so overwhelming. Recent events, and their accompanying reflections, have caused a (however small and perhaps wholly mental) shift in me...from having been perhaps overly confident of my independence, and narrowmindedly driven by my own goals and dreams and ideas, I've started to realize how much it matters to me to be more than emotionally close to those that are close to my heart.

1 comment: